Tips & Information
Authorized Fur Care Specialist
Jacques Ferber is an authorized fur care specialist, which means the advice you will receive from Jacques Ferber will be accurate, correct, and safe. Simple precautions and inexpensive maintenance can assure an extended life of beauty for your fur. Only trust the advice of an Authorized Fur Care SpecialistSM
Caring for Your Fur
- Always store your fur garments in cold storage when you are done wearing them for the season or not using them. Your authorized fur care specialist is equipped with temperature, humidity and light-controlled storage facilities to protect your fur, keeping it from drying out, oxidizing and prematurely aging your garment.
- Have your fur cleaned annually by an authorized fur care specialist, never a dry cleaner. Your fur may not look dirty but it is important to remove small abrasive dirt particles and chemicals, and keep it soft.
- Have small rips or tears repaired immediately by your authorized fur care specialist. This will prevent more expensive repairs later.
- Always hang your fur on a broad-shoulder hanger, never a wire hanger. Allow enough space so your fur is not crushed.
- Never hang your fur in bags of any type. Plastic or rubber-lined bags prevent air from circulating, which can dry out the leather. Over time, bags (even cloth bags) can also cause wear and broken hairs where the bag rests against the fur.
- Do not store your fur in a cedar closet. Cedar wood absorbs moisture which can dry your fur out. And cedar closets do not protect from dust, dirt and insect damage.
- Do not store your fur with moth balls. Moth balls react with moisture in the air to produce a gas that acts as a fumigant. This chemical reaction can cause irreparable damage to your fur (not to mention a lingering odor).
- Avoid spraying perfume, hairspray or other chemicals on your fur. The alcohol content in these products will dry the leather and stiffen the guard hairs.
- If your fur gets wet shake it out and hang it to dry in a well-ventilated room. Avoid direct heat or radiators, which can damage both fur and leather. If your fur is soaked through take it immediately to your authorized fur care specialist for proper treatment.
- One of the beauties of fur is that it can be repaired or remodeled. Your authorized fur care specialist can find matching fur and make any repairs - or the can help you remodel it into updated, new fashion.
- Enjoy wearing your fur!
Can't Find What You're Looking For?
Jacques Ferber offers the finest in luxury outerwear… Furs, shearling, down, fur trimmed and fur lined coats, leathers, as well as, an ever growing selection of forward and technical lifestyle pieces from around the world. We also offer complete services to keep your garments looking great! If you can not find something on our site, please contact us and we will help you find what you have been looking for!
- Philadelphia 215-735-4173
- Wayne 610-971-3877
- Wilmington 302-652-4340